Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Friday, July 22, 2005

Part 140: Baring of Souls PT 3

Seth and Kate sat by the entrance to the giant rock wall. The ocean was gently caressing the beach line, making only the slight white noise they were used to. The brunette had the photo of Tanya and Seth in her hands, staring at it. She saw the picture of her in the background, tending bar and serving drinks. Her hair was blonde then; a trick she had done many times to stay ahead of the police. Her hands trembled over seeing the photo. “How . .how is this possible that you would . . .” she stuttered.

“I know, what are the odds?” Seth muttered, rocking back and forth, “I’ve been going over it in my head and haven’t come up with any decent solution.”

“This is why you recognized me,” she pointed out, “I’ve been in a photo that you’ve held close for so long.”

“Yes, indeed.” He said, staring at her.

“It’s all a major coincidence, Seth. I’ll admit that but this doesn’t mean anything.”

“I’m inclined to disagree. I mean, I WANT to agree with you because I don’t normally believe in fate and destiny but things I have seen and people I have talked with all this island had let me to rethink myself.”

“What are you getting at?” Kate said.

“You are in a photo I’ve had with me for three years. You and I wound up on the same plane. The same plane that crashed and we both survived. We’ve both been reunited. This doesn’t strike you as just coincidence, does it, Kate?”

Kate closed her eyes, and leaned forward, propping up her head with her right hand. “But why would this need to happen?” she asked.

“Perhaps because you need to tell me something.” Seth pointed out.

“Tell you what?”

“Whatever it is you are running from?” he responded.

Kate opened her eyes and looked at him. He sat there, staring at her; waiting for an answer. It was beginning to make her panic, how much this young man knew about her without even asking. “What . . .what makes you think I am running from anything?” she asked.

Seth sighed, and reached over, gently taking her hand. “Kate, I didn’t guess when I told you what type of music you like, “he whispered, “I’ve always been good at reading people. Your eyes, your speech, your face . . .that tells me all I need to know. And it tells me that you are running from something. What is it?”

Without hesitation, or thought, she found herself squeezing his hand. She blinked before she realized she was doing it. She wanted to tell him; she wanted to tell Jack. It had been eating her up since she got their on the island, wanting to reveal it to somebody. But she was afraid. She had been afraid since it all happened and never knew who she could trust. “I’ve done some . .bad things.” She whispered.

“Haven’t we all?” Seth sighed.

“I murdered someone.” She sniffed, “The only man I ever loved.”

Seth didn’t say anything. He just listened.

“He was . .he was trying to help me. I never should have gotten . . gotten so close to him again. But he was working at the hospital, so I could see, my mother.”

“Your mother?” Seth paused.

“She was dying. Cancer. I just had to see her . .and due to . .what I did . . .”

Kate started to choke up. Tears were flowing gently from her eyes at that point. She squeezed Seth’s hand even tighter. “I know my . . .mother didn’t live out of that hospital. They were just . . .making her comfortable. But due to what I did . ..her last words to me . .was that . . .she was afraid of me.”

Kate finally broke down, crying. Seth didn’t know what to do, so he didn’t the first thing that felt natural; he put his arm around her. The brunette collapsed into him, crying heavily. He held onto her as she cried. “I didn’t . . .want my mama . .to be afraid of me.” She wailed.

“I know,” Seth whispered, “I know.”

Kate continued to cry for a few more minutes. Seth stroked her hair, letting her finish. The brunette caught her breath, and sniffed a few times. She wiped her tears with the back of her sleeve. Seth said nothing else; he merely waited for her to speak when she was ready. “I’ve been a fugitive,” she whispered, “I’ve been on the run for so many years cause no one would believe me that what I did . . .well, . .they wouldn’t believe it wasn’t my fault.”

“I believe you.” Seth smiled gently at her.

“You . .you don’t really know me, Seth,” Kate giggled through her tears.

“But you’ve told me apart of you. It’s enough for me to judge people on their actions, not their past. I don’t see a cold blooded murderer; I see the kind woman who stepped in to help my friends when we arrived on your beach, not knowing a single soul.”

Kate smiled. She had felt better at that moment than she had in several years. The brunette reached up, gently stroking his geek. “Are you an Angel, Seth?” she smiled, “Where you put here, so I could have someone to confess my sins too?”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” he chuckled, “But I could tell . . .you’ve held this pain in you for some time. When you want to, you should take a look around at my friends, Kate.”

“What for?” she asked.

“Good things happen here to people who bare their souls to one another.” He smiled brightly.

“You sound like you speak from experience?”

A warm image of Brendon floated in Seth’s thoughts upon hearing what she said. He smiled, getting teary eyed. “I am.” He confessed.

The two new friends then stood up. Kate took Seth’s hand, helping up stand up from sitting on the sand. They stared at each other for a second. Then Kate closed her eyes, placing her hand on her chest. A calm breeze from the ocean swooped up, cascading over her. “My heart,” she smiled, “it feel . .lighter.”

“You see?” Seth grinned, “It works.”

“Thank you, Seth,” Kate said, holding both of his hands,” For everything.”

“You are most welcome, Kate,” he said, bowing his head, “I only wish I could help you with your other problem.”

“What problem?”

“Which one to choose, “Seth grinned, “Sawyer or Jack.”

Kate blushed, covering her mouth with her hand, smiling. She then, in all good fun, hit Seth softly in the shoulder. “You need to quit reading me, Seth,” she playfully ordered.

“Oh, that one wasn’t that hard to read,” he smiled, “I could tell you have a thing for both of them.”

“Okay,” she smiled, “How?”

“You have a thing for Jack, cause you can’t stop talking about him. You have a thing for Sawyer, cause you always want to be near him. How I am doing?” he shrugged his shoulders.

Kate giggled again. “Score.” She whispered.

The brunette then hugged the young bookstore worker. Seth smiled, hugging her back. He felt weird that this all started with a picture, but it ended up something even more special. He had secured even another friend. He didn’t know what Kate’s true past was but he felt he did his job; he got her to tell him somewhat about it and it made her feel better. Kate then kissed him on the cheek and then rested her head on his shoulder. Seth helped her bare her soul; she wanted to hug him a while for his kindness.


Up on the hill, Sawyer was still looking for Jin. He was certain the Korean man was behind the raft burning; why would he be so hard to find unless he was hiding? The southern man moved some of the bushes out of the way, then found himself back at the beach at Giant Rock Wall. He saw down on the beach, there were two people hugging. When he squinted his eyes, he realized it was Kate and the surf-boy himself, Seth. What could they be hugging about? Sawyer then blinked when he saw Kate kiss him on the cheek and then rested her head on his shoulder, like he was her boyfriend for some years.

“What the hell?” he muttered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home