Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Friday, October 27, 2006

Part 438: Eddie's Burden of Proof

“You did what?” Tony gasped.

It was near late at night when Eddie arrived at the Largos. It was the standing arrangement. While his mother was away on business in Japan, he was allowed to stay with Tony and Marita on the weekends. It was Friday and Eddie had just come from his dinner date with Bonnie and her family. He had finally met her step-father and had dinner with him.

Not to mention accuse him of being a dead man, who abducts children.

Marita held onto her coffee cup, hearing what Eddie had said. Tony stared across from him; his face a mixture of confusion and disappointment. The young man sat across the table with his arms crossed, waiting for Tony to say something. The one eyed doctor rubbed his forehead and took a deep breath. “Did I hear you right, Eddie?” he coughed, “A man . .you just met tonight . . .you yelled at him . . .pretty much accusing him of being a man he never met before?”

“It’s him, Tony.” Eddie whispered.

“It can’t be him, Eddie.” Marita said, “Plus, I mean . . .how could you really know? You’d only seen him for five minutes!”

“You saw him too, Marita,” the young man pointed at her, “And you saw him again when Charlie killed him.”

“Yeah, Charlie killed him!” Tony glared at him, “that should have been the indication that this man is NOT Ethan Rom!”

“Tony, I swear to God he looks JUST like him!” Eddie begged.

“But it can’t be him, can it? There is no way that Ethan Rom could have come back from the dead!”

“Raven did.”

Tony stopped for a moment and took a breath. He calmly leaned back in his chair, rubbing his eye. Marita tried her best not to cry. Eddie was like a son to her and Tony was her dear husband. She knew the bond they both shared so it was very difficult seeing them argue for any reason. The one eyed doctor then leaned his head back, as he looked over toward his younger companion. “That’s different, Eddie.” He told him.

“How is it different?” Eddie leaned into the table, “Raven was dead. He wanted to die. That’s why he activated the release of the poison capsule in his sternum. But Watchman needed a security system to aide us in the battle, so he rebuilt him. Who’s to say . . .Watchman didn’t revive Ethan?”

“I’ll admit Raven is a miracle about what modern science can do but you know what happened when Watchman brought him back to life.” The doctor pointed out, “He made him more machine than man. He has wires poking out of his frame. Does Matt?”

Eddie grunted and slumped back into his chair. “No.” he whispered.

“Then it’s not possible, is it?”

“Then let’s go over there.” The young man countered.

“And do what, exactly?” the doctor retorted.

“Let’s let Marita take a look at Matt and prove that he is the spitting image of Ethan.”

“Out of the question.” Tony glared, “Don’t you think you’ve embarrassed your girlfriend enough?”

Eddie couldn’t believe that Tony didn’t want to go over there but in essence, he could understand why. He was fully prepared to go over to Bonnie house and demand that his God Mother get a decent look at Matt Tefpourth in the hopes that he resembles a dead homicidal maniac.

Of course, that wouldn’t be a sane person’s response and that’s why the young man understood why his mentor was relunctant to go over there. Before he could say anything else, Marita gently placed her hand on the young man’s wrist. “Eddie,” she whispered, “That was near six years ago. And I only talked with Ethan for less than five minutes. I can barely remember a glimpse of his face.”

Eddie sighed, taking her hand. He smiled briefly, with soft tears starting to form in his eyes. “I should have known that.” He smiled, “I’m sorry.”

“Eddie,” Tony looked at him, “I know you’ve been through a lot on the Island. I mean, . . you lost your father and you nearly lost your mother. We’ve moved on. You got to let the Island go.”

“I can’t, Tony.” He coughed, “I can’t. Not now. Bonnie has a locket that looks exactly like Bunny’s; even the photos within. And her step-father happens to have more than a passing resemblance to Ethan. I refuse to believe . . .that’s coincidence.”

Tony looked at him. A lot of what he said did seem strange. But the odds of it happening, were astounding. The doctor often wondered how things work upon the knowledge of Fate. Was it fate or coincidence? Eddie seemed to thing so. Or was it just another reason he couldn’t let the Island go? Eddie waited for him to say something. But all Tony could do was slide his fingers over his mouth in a rapid motion. It was his way of thinking. The doctor finally looked at him. “It’s late.” He told him, “Go to bed. We’ll discuss this more tomorrow morning.”

Eddie knew he wasn’t going to win the conversation. He calmly stood up, leaned over and kissed Marita goodnight on the cheek. The young man then turned and walked toward the stairs. He paused before ascending the steps. “I’m sorry I yelled at you.” He told Tony without looking at him.

“Likewise,” Tony told him with a slight smile.

The young man then began walking up the stairs. The moment he was out of sight, Tony winced and tried to hold in his emotions. He didn’t like yelling at Eddie but what he was suggesting was absurd to the point of insanity. Marita gently rubbed her husband’s hair. “Why . . why can’t he let the Island go?” the one eye doctor whispered.

“It was a difficult time in his life, Tony,” the Latina whispered, “ and the most thrilling. He was ten years old and he held a dying girl in his arms. How could he ever forget that?”

Tony smiled, taking his wife’s hand. “You’re right.” He said, “I’ll discuss more with him tomorrow. I wish . . I wish I didn’t have to yell at him.”

“He’s you, Tony.” She smiled.

“What?”

“You’re both head strong. You’re both determined. When he was yelling back at you, I saw you in him.” She then gently rubbed her belly, “It makes me happy because I know you’ll be a great father.”

Tony smiled at his wife’s comment. He gently helped her up out of the chair. The two loving people began their walk up the stairs toward their own bed. Some things are better after a good night’s sleep.

At least, that’s what Tony hoped.


Morning came more quickly than usual. Tony barely got any sleep because he was really worried about Eddie. The one eyed doctor slowly got out of bed and walked outside his bedroom, then made his way toward Eddie’s guest room. He calmly opened the door and was about to invite him to a quiet breakfast at Winkies; just the two of them.

But Eddie was gone.

The doctor stepped into the room and as he looked closely, he saw a note on Eddie’s pillow, which bore his name. He walked over, picked up the note, unfolded it then began to read.

Tony,

I don’t know. Maybe you are right. Maybe I am hallucinating but if I am, that scares me. I have to figure this out. If this is some more Dharma crap, then I’ll get you your proof. If it’s not, I’ll apologize to Bonnie but I have a bad feeling I may have already lost her. It’s my own damn fault. I should have listened to you. I shouldn’t have jumped the gun but I couldn’t help it. Thanks for raising me the way you did. I’m sorry I yelled at you and hope this is all just my mind playing tricks on me.

Sincerely
Eddie

P.s. What if I am right?


Tony took a deep breath and folded the note. He calmly crossed his arms, and with his left hand; proceeded to tap the note on his mouth. The doctor was thinking and he hoped Eddie knew what he was doing. However, if there was anyone who needed the benefit of the doubt, it was Eddie. Tony owed him that. He’ll see what happens if Eddie does indeed find “proof.”.

“If you are right, Eddie,” the doctor whispered to himself, “I can’t even begin to fathom what this could mean.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home