Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Monday, January 23, 2006

Part 315: Quote The Raven Part 2

Jack took a deep sigh as he followed Locke down the hallways toward the exit of the Shark Tank. He was relunctant to speak to Raven after the outburst they shared not ten minutes ago. Locke assured him that everything would be okay. Jack didn’t even know how to take that. Locke pushed the door to the outside. In the middle of the open field, Raven was sitting cross legged facing the opposite direction. Locke looked to Jack, then started walking toward him. The doctor took a deep breath and then followed him.

The two men walked up to Raven, looking down at him. He was just staring out into the distance of the jungle then the ocean beyond it. “Sit down,” he said.

Locke slowly sat down, and crossed his legs as well. Jack crouched down and then leaned on one hand. Raven slowly looked at him, flashing blue light from his eyes. “Thank you for coming, Jack.” He whispered.

“I’m sorry . . .If I upset you, I just . . .” Jack considered his words carefully, “I don’t fully comprehend what made you . . .you.”

“Quite frankly I don’t either, Jack. But perhaps through our little discussion we can figure it out.”

“Do you remember dying?” Locke asked.

“Yes. The cyanide capsule implanted in my chest was activated the moment the expiration code made it down the list of active Jaeger Units. My heart stopped and then I was gone.”

“Do you remember what happened afterwards?”

“Yes, I woke in an underground chamber, bathed in a blue light. When I was able to move, I was more than I ever was. Watchman remade me.”

“No, I mean . . .what happened between dying and waking up?” Locke asked again.

“John . . .are you trying to ask Raven if he went to Heaven?” Jack asked in amazement.

“I just wanted to ask him if he remembers anything, Jack.”

“To answer your question, Locke, no, I do not remember.” Raven said bluntly.

Locke lowered his head, taking a deep sigh. Jack watched him closely, wondering what type of answer he was looking for. The old man decided to leave certain things on faith; faith in himself and especially faith in Mia. He had grown so close to the young girl and her stories of her dreams with her grandmother. He thought Raven could solidify what Mia already know but his faith in her would have to be enough. “Okay, next question,” he whispered, “That man in there, Ecko . . .Jenny said he was old. But that guy is clearly young; is he the same man Jenny talked with?”

“Yes, he is.” Raven said in a cold tone.

“How . . .how is he young?” Jack asked.

“Ecko, as you probably know, came over here in a bi-plane from Nigeria. As he entered the sky over his country, he was wrapped in a dark cloud vortex. When they emerged from the storm they appeared here. Ecko was spared.”

“What do you mean, spared?” Locke asked.

“The vortex had an unnatural side-effect.” The masked man looked at Locke, “It was designed to be the first teleporter the world had ever seen. But it couldn’t hold celluar structure; it aged it’s subjects rapidly.”

“The advanced decompistion.” The bald man whispered, as Raven was filling in all the blanks.

“Ecko was aged slowly. He emerged from that plane a youthful man of 23. Then in the span of 11 years, he became an old man.”

“Eleven years?” Jack held up his hand, “Jenny said that he said he was on this Island for 22 years.”

“Another lie. He was worried . . .that she wouldn’t understand the situation.”

“Is there anything he told her that was truthful?” Jack demanded.

“The fact that he and I are friends.” Raven stared at the doctor, mildly insulted.

Jack was getting unnerved by Raven’s glare. His eyes were cold and yet hot at the same time; with the slight blue light emitting from them. The doctor just slowly lowered his head. Locke broke the tension immediately by continuing the questions. “So he is young again?” the old man asked, “How did that happen?”

“The Vortex that brought him here, has an Energy Wash Chamber where it’s design to hold it’s residue. I brought him there and placed him in it. Like I thought it would, the chamber took the foreign energy out of his body. I didn’t know it would de-age him.”

“Where is this chamber located?” asked Jack.

“Underground. About 500 feet.” Raven pointed down.

“Could you take us to this chamber?”

“I would advise against it.” The masked man pointed out,” He doesn’t like to be disturbed.”

Jack blinked in confusion. “Who doesn’t?”

“The creature Eddie named The Polliwog.”

“Wait a second,” Locke threw up his hands, “Why would the Polliwog be in the teleporter chamber?”

“Every creature needs a nest, Locke.” The masked man whispered as if it was obvious.

“A nest?” Jack scoffed, “The Polliwog turned . . one of the most advanced pieces of machinery the world as every seen . . .INTO A NEST?”

“Irony appears in many forms, Jack,” Raven seemed to be smiling under his mask, “The celluar structure of the Polliwog is unique. The energies of the vortex bathe themselves into the creature once a month. Those energies have stayed with it, to the point where the Polliwog can now teleport at will.”

“Why have we not seen the Polliwog? Why does it hide among the trees and shadows?” Locke asked.

“Near as I can figure, it stems from it’s creation. The Polliwog was born in an incubation chamber; a mixture of circuits and animal DNA from over 60 animals. It was watched and monitored all it’s life. I don’t think . .it likes to be looked upon.”

Jack heard Raven’s words and then lowered his head, starting to chuckle. Locke smirked looking at the doctor who was upset ten minutes ago at Raven’s statements but at that moment, was finding them amusing. “What’s so funny, Jack?” Locke asked.

“It makes perfect sense.” He said, with an expression on his face that said he didn’t believe he was saying it.

“What does?”

“The Polliwog,” Jack laughed, “Raven said, that creature didn’t like to be looked upon.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Why else . . .would it befriend a blind man?”

Locke then started to chuckle himself. “And here I thought that was just coincidence.”

“I guess Desmond was right.” The doctor whispered.

“Are you saying you are starting to believe what I am saying, Jack?” Raven inquired.

“It’s hard for me to understand this stuff . . .but I don’t think you are lying, if that is what you mean.”

“No, I am not lying,” the masked man sighed, “Whether you understand what I am saying is up to you. But I swear . . .it is the truth.”

“I think we can all agree you are not lying, Raven,” Locke mentioned, “Now the next question I want to know might be a little sensitive . . .and if you don’t want to answer it, that is fine.”

“What question, Locke?” Raven looked at him.

“Tell me about the other Jaeger Units. Tell me about Helen. Tell me about . ..the day you escaped the Hatch.”

Raven shook his head in agreement. “I want to tell you about them.” He whispered, “If I do tell you . ..it will be as if . . .they truly existed and they weren’t . . .discarded.”

Jack finally felt sorry for the strange man. The doctor couldn’t imagine it; he tried but every time he though about, he failed. The possibility of a large group of people who were experimented on left in an underground bunker to die, but yet they didn’t. How did they live? What they did they eat?

Jack waited patiently as Raven began the tail of the beings in the Hatch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home