Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Part 249: Together Part 2

The survivors were glad the rain had finally stopped. It would have made a miserable night to sleep through. Libby walked with Karleigh as they made their way toward the beach. The water glistened in the light of the sun as it dripped from the large leaves. The therapist looked around, with nothing but a smile on her face. “What are you so happy about?” Karleigh asked.

“Oh, nothing much, just the fact that we are in the open,” Libby giggled, “We’re not picking fruit at gun point.”

“At least you see the joy in everything,” the rich girl sighed, “You always did, Libby. That come from your job?”

“Why? You need counseling?” the older woman joked.

“Ewww. Do not.” Karleigh grunted.

“Oh, okay. I thought for a second, you might need advice on how to handle a certain surfer boy.”

“Oh, God, what gave you that idea?” the young woman sighed.

“It doesn’t take a degree to know when someone is attracted to someone.”

“Look, just because he saved my life, doesn’t mean I am gonna sleep with him.”

“JESUS, Karleigh, “ Libby paused, turning to face her, “Did I even mention sex?”

“Everybody mentions sex eventually.”

“You know . ..maybe you should have a session with me.” Libby started walking.

“You mean, other than what we are doing now?” Karleigh grunted, “By the way, Libby, where the hell are we going?”

“I thought you said, you want to live on the beach?”

“I did. I do.”

“Well, it just so happens I have secured us some living quarters.”

“Secured?” the young woman blinked, “You mean, we are not going to have to build our own tent . . .not that I mind.”

“Nope,” Libby smiled, as they walked onto the sand, “I met a very kind man and he agreed we could stay in his tent.”

Karleigh followed Libby as they grossed the “tent city” that made up the majority of the beach. Most of the shelters were fabricated from tarps and plane debris. The rich girl was a little disappointed that they didn’t have better living areas but in retrospect, it was must better than a caged bunker buried underground. No more dampness; no more cold mud. Karleigh was looking forward to sleeping under the stars and waking up with the sun in her face.

Up ahead, past most of the tents, they took a right into the slight of the woods. Karleigh could see the cop called Hal pulling on a rope, making a branch come down slightly. Then he pulled another rope, sending a large green tarp-like cover slide over it, providing a perfect canopy. “Hey, Hal!” Libby waved with delight.

“Libby,” Hal smiled, “How are you?”

“Glad to be on the beach,” she said turning around, “Karleigh will be joining us.”

“Yes, you told me, how are you, Karleigh?” he shook her hand.

“Not too bad, I hope you are looking forward to Libby’s therapy sessions.”

“KARLEIGH!” Libby gasped.

“Actually, point of fact, I am,” Hal said, slightly blushing.

“So, where am I sleeping?” the rich girl looked around.

“Pick a spot.” The cop offered her the area.

Karleigh looked around and chose the area bathed in shade. She slowly turned around and sat down, taking off her shoes and socks. Being barefoot on the sand was much more appealing. She looked at the expanse of the ocean before her; waves crashing against the water. “Hey, Hal?” she said.

“Yeah?” the cop responded, as he was bringing over pillows for the two ladies.

“Does anybody do much swimming? The water sure looking inviting.”

“There is a deep undertow out there, Karleigh. If you do go swimming, I advise you to stay to the shallows. We already lost one person out there.”

“Lost?” Libby piped up.

“Yeah. Poor girl went swimming and was pulled under. Jack did his best to rescue her but he had to rescue another kid who tried to save her.”

“Well, dang that is depressing.” Karliegh accepted the pillow.

“How is the mental state of the survivors, Hal?” Libby said, looking back at Tent City.

“They seem to be taking it in stride. No one is really wanting to talk about what we just went through two days ago. They just want to put it all behind them. And of course, constantly await a rescue.”

“You would have thought one would be coming by now.”

“Yeah,” the cop sighed, “One would think.”

The night had finally fallen on the beach. A handful of survivors walked around, lighting up torches and various bonfires to keep the feeling of being safe in the air. They were certain the threat was over but they weren’t about to be relaxed completely. Jack told a few of the men to stand guard, for anything. But to also ease the tension, the group decided on
Seth’s Luau. It didn’t turn out to be as extradordinary as he wished but it was enough to bring the people together.

Most had centered themselves around their individuals campfires. They had formed a food line and were serving all the food they found from the Liberation compound. Seth felt sick as he was pigging out on Doritos the majority of the time. They had also found some pasta, vegetables and rice, which Locke and McKay took a few moments to cook. Yolanda fixed herself and Michael a plate which Walt had already fixed him one. Sawyer went through the line, picking up the stuff he wanted. He walked over to Marita who was in charge of the rice. “What kind of rice is that?” the redneck asked.

“Chicken rice,” she smiled, “Rice soaked in chicken broth.”

“Then I will try some.” He said, holding out his plate.

“You strike me more of a meat and potatoes man, Sawyer,” she replied, placing a helping on his plate.

“Well, I don’t see any so Chicken rice will have to do. Thanks a bunch.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Have a good evening, chica con queso.” He said, toasting her with the beer in his other hand.

Marita blinked at her nickname. “Chica con queso?” she scoffed.

Tony chuckled who sat near her, nearly spitting out his beans that he was eating. “Don’t take it personally, sweetie,” he laughed, “It’s cause my nickname is Co-Cheese.”

“Oh,” she said, brushing off her hands, “Cute.”

“Mr. Tony?” Kellye said, walking over with her plate.

“Yeah?” the blind man said, recognizing the voice of the young girl soldier.

“John said you had some pepper?”

“Oh, sure,” he laughed, grabbing some packets and handing her a few.

“Thanks a bunch,” she replied, sitting down next to him and opening them up, “I like a little bit of spice on my beans.”

“Shame we didn’t find any hot sauce,” Tony said, munching on a piece of loaf bread.

“Oh, I know. I love hot sauce on my hot dogs especially. My uncle would bathe stuff in hot sauce all the time. Mom used to say it was one of the few traits I inherited from him.”

“Sounds like a good man.”

“He was. I miss him. He died of a shrapnel wound to the head. He was one of the few reasons I joined the marines.”

“Shrapnel wound?” Tony said, raising his head.

“Yeah, “ she said, sipping on her soda, “He got struck by a explosion during a raid on an Iranian bunker. The piece got stuck in his head but he didn’t die. My uncle said one of his best friends removed the majority of the piece but of course, he couldn’t get it all out. They had to send him back to the states so bonafide surgeons could help him. They did but he was still suffering from too much brain damage.”

“He . .uh . . .passed away?” the blind man felt his arms trembling.

“Yeah, he went out with a laugh, it was always Uncle Ralph’s way. You want to hear what his nick-name was?”

“Loud Mouth Ralph. Cause he never could shut up.”

Kellye then spit her soda into the sand. She coughed and caught her composure. Tony didn’t look at her but he held out a napkin for her to take. As she wiped her mouth with the napkin, she looked at Tony wild eyed. “How . ..how would you know that?” she gasped.

Tony gently placed his food to the side. He cupped his hands together and leaned forward. “I know it cause he was my good friend during the Gulf War,” the blind doctor sighed, “I know it cause I was the one who pulled the shrapnel out of his head.”

Kellye nearly felt like screaming. She coughed, remembering to breathe. “Oh, my god,” she whispered, “You . .you are The Keyman?”

“I wish they could have given me a better nickname.” Tony chuckled.

“I can’t believe this,” the girl soldier gasped, “Uncle Ralph used to always write to us stories about the pranks he played on you.”

Tony laughed under his breath. “Ralph did have a habit of breaking the boredom over there, between missions.” He said, rubbing his three day beard.

“Don’t feel bad, Tony. Uncle Ralph would only play jokes on those he really liked.”

“I know,” he said, wiping a small tear, “I should have written him. I know he was going to be in the hospital but life . . .threw me a curve ball. I got seconded to the special forces and then I lost my wife in a divorce. I always wanted to look him up when I was able but It never occurred to me that he wouldn’t pull through. I’m . . . I’m gonna miss him.”

Kellye smiled, gently taking Tony’s hand. “Do you want to know what his last words were?” she smiled.

“Sure,” the blind doctor sighed.

“Before he passed away, Uncle Ralph said in his deep gruff voice, Someone Stand me up, I have to take a crap.”

Tony giggled. Then he chuckled and then it turned into a full blown laughter. Kellye laughed with him. “Oh, man, Ralph,” Tony said, wiping another tear away, “That sounded like him. Always wanting to bring a smile to someone’s face.”

“Is it true he wrote Keyman on your jacket in the gulf?” she grinned.

“You mean . . .did he write it by dipping a stick in camel dung and then writing it on my jacket? Then yes.”

“OH MY GOD,” Kellye held her stomach laughing.

“My damn jacket stunk for three weeks. I had to buy up the majority of my take home pay by buying soap.”

“Did you pay him back?”

“Actually, I did,” Tony chuckled, “He had these nudie playing cards with naked women. He would always play them just to look at them, I thought. So I superclued all of them together into a block.”

“Oh, no!” the girl soldier laughed.

“When he saw them, I laughed and said, that is a sexy paperweight.”

Kellye laughed so hard she fell off the fallen tree they were sitting on and plopped into the sand. Marita smiled, happy to see Tony connect with someone. Whatever they were talking about, it definitely made Kellye laugh.


Jenny stared into the darkness of the ocean, as it crashed near her feet. She thought she was seeing ghostly images dance in the black water before her. Was it Martin? Was it Raven? She didn’t know. All she knew was the empty hole her heart that they used to fill. Soft footsteps crunched in the sand behind her. Kristy slowly sat down next to her friend, holding her a plate of food. Jenny, however, didn’t move. “Please, Jenny, eat something,” her model friend begged.

Jenny then took her plate from her and began to munch on the food provided. “Please, Jenny,” Kristy said, “I need you to talk to me.”

The young teenager ate the corn and looked to Kristy. “I’m fine.” She whispered.

“No, honey, you are not fine. You’re just .. .sitting here by yourself, staring into the darkness of the ocean.”

“Why not?” Jenny said, sipping her soda, “We all should embrace the darkness eventually.”

“What the hell does that mean?” Kristy gasped.

“Whatever you want it to mean, Kristy. You need to stop worrying about me and start worrying about yourself.”

Kristy was flabbergasted; unsure of what Jenny was even saying. “I miss him too, Jenny,” she said, starting to cry, “But I accepted it. I had to move on cause Marty would have wanted me to-“

“I DON’T HAVE TO ACCEPT ANYTHING!” Jenny screamed and then threw her plate of food into the ocean, walking away.

Kristy watched her friend disappear into the darkness as she walked down the long edge of the beach. The model slowly stood up, and sniffed. She wanted her friend back. She turned around and scuttled through the sand to Jack, hoping the only other person left who has a connection to Jenny, would come up with some idea on how to help her through this.



The group was huddled around the bigger campfire, sitting serving as Sayid’s signal fire. They were at the moment finished with the bulk of their food and were working on deserts. Hurley was telling Joscelyn something that made her nearly laugh so hard, she lost her cupcake. Claire was enjoying the jar of peanut butter as Charlie was strumming lightly on his guitar. Kate was laughing with Marita as they both ate chocolate pudding. John playfully messed up Eddie’s hair as he carried a couple of candy bars to his mother.

Mandy was done eating her cup cake and checked on the Red Faction kids. Andra had apparently fallen in love with Coke and couldn’t drink enough of it. She would giggle every time the fizzy bubbles tickled her nose. Flower enjoyed the vanilla cup cakes and Alexander was laying in the sand, rubbing his belly and moaning. McKay joked to Mandy that the wild boy had been introduced to chocolate and the candy won the battle. The blonde laughed and then saw Seth walking past the group, chugging a beer. “Seth!” she called.

“Yeah?” he stopped, looking at her.

“You need to sing something!” she laughed.

“Sing . .what?” he said, joining Charlie and Claire.

“We can’t have a campfire without a campfire song!”

“Yeah, sing, Jim Morrison.” Sawyer smirked, sipping his beer.

The group then said SING, SING, promptly the Turboshaft front man to sing a song. Seth motioned for them to quite down. “Okay, okay,” he chuckled, “What do you want to hear?”

“Something powerful . . .and slow too,” Shannon said.

“Something powerful and slow,” the singer thought with his hand over his mouth, “OH. I know the perfect song. Charlie, you know this one?”

The singer whispered into his fellow musician’s ear. “Oh, that’s a classic!” he laughed, then stood up.

All eyes fell on Charlie as he started to strum a tune. The group listened in trying to determine what song he was playing. Jack scratched his head, definitely know he had heard the song before. Tony smirked; already figuring it out. Mia leaned into John, as she was ready to hear Seth sing another beautiful song. The young man closed his eyes and began to crone out his tune. “Day after Day I’m more confused . . .yet I look for the light through the pouring rain . . .”

“YES!” Kate laughed, holding both her hands up, “Drift Away!”

Seth winked at her and continued singing.

You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away


The group swayed to the soulful harmony that Seth eluded into the air. Charlie stayed with him, matching his voice note for note.

Beginning to think that I'm wastin' time
I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm countin' on you to carry me through

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away


Seth walked over and sat down between Kate and Jack. He put his arm around both of them and hugged them closer, making the others laugh.

And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me


Seth leaned over and kissed Kate on the cheek, singing “ Thanks for the joy that you've given me.”

Kate blushed and kissed him on the cheek back, drawing a collective group of AWWWS from the crowd. Seth then got up and continued singing, walking toward his others friends.

I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony


Seth kneeled down in front of Mia and Shanna. He took both of their hands and kissed them both. “You help me along . . . . makin' me strong .” he sang for them.

Mia laughed, almost in tears. She knew Seth was a juvenile sometimes but he never ceased to amaze her when he could give all of his friends nothing but love and friendship. Seth then stood up and started clapping.

WHOOOOOOAAAA
Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away


The group continued clapping as Seth and Charlie yielded the music. They had their laughs and praise during the whole routine. Others laughed, and others cried in joy, over his beautiful music, and thankful they could be alive to celebrate it. Some survivors were elsewhere and others were not but in the end it didn’t matter.

They were together and that was enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home