Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Part 58: Musically Inclined

The Kendo stick struck the sheathed sword with quick force. Brendon and Seth passed each other, then twirled and struck again. Seth quickly took his stance in the sand, just like his friend had taught him. Brendon paused again, and twirled his sword, bringing it to the side of his head. The Asian man turned and twisted again. He noticed his friend attention was swaying slightly. “No, do not watch my hands,” he ordered Seth, “Watch my arms. The attack will be coming from there.”

Seth nodded his head in agreement. Brendon then thrust at him and his friend blocked it. The Asian twisted and Seth blocked it again. Brendon tried one more time and his opponent missed, it as he struck him on the collarbone. “Ow!” Seth grunted as he fell on his butt in the sand.

Shanna was down the beach, listening to Seth’s music tape. When she saw what happened, she paused to laugh. Seth playfully threw sand at her, even though it had no chance of reaching her. Brendon walked over and held out his hand to his friend. As he helped him up, he patted him on the arm. “Good job, Seth,” the Asian man smiled, “You are a fast learner. You’ve already covered the basis. In three days I suspect, you’ll know the finer arts.”

“I appreciate you saying that,” Seth bowed.

“Come.” Brendon motioned him back toward their pile of belongings,” That is enough for today. I’ll start to show you the finer points tomorrow.”

The two friends walked up to their suitcase piles. Seth took a small towel and wiped his sweat. Brendon placed back on his shirt, and then opened up a bottled water. As he drank a gulp, he then handed it to his friend. Seth drank a little and then handed it back. “You’re one hell of a teacher, man,” he said.

Brendon took the bottle and then grinned from ear to ear. Seth chuckled at the sight of his face. “What did I say, dude?” he laughed, “Not that it isn’t great to see you smiling.”

“You said I am one hell of a teacher,” the Asian smiled, “Since I don’t consider myself worthy enough to be one, the fact that you would say that . . .it means more to me than you’ll ever know. Thank you, Seth.”

Do Itashinimashite,” the young man bowed.

“How . . .how did you know to say you’re welcome in Japanese?” Brendon asked, surprised.

“I saw Rising Sun,” he confessed, “One of Sean Connery’s better films, actually.”

Brendon playfully pushed him and laughed that his language knowledge came from movies. Seth picked up his t-shirt that he tore the sleeve off of and put it on. He smirked, as it seemed sleeveless shirts were in the IN-thing on this island. The young man then began to walk toward Shanna. She had borrowed his tape-player and he needed to listen to it, to judge the battery strength.

He smirked, seeing Shanna rocking out to The English Beat’s Mirror in the Bathroom song. She had her eyes closed and was playing air drums listening to the music. Seth then paused as he watched her. She had her hands shaped as if she was holding drumsticks and taping her knees to the music. What made him look twice was the fact of how she was holding her hands and how perfectly in tune to the rhythm it was. He knew musical talent when he saw it. “Shanna!” he exclaimed, “You can play the drums?”

The redhead paused, and quickly blushed, laughing. Seth sat down next to her, turning off the tape player. After she rubbed her cheeks, she smiled and whispered, “Yeah, I can play the drums.”

“That’s wicked.” Seth smiled, “I’ve never met a girl who-“

“Play the drums?” she finished for him, “Yeah, I get that a lot. It’s almost like women and golf. Even when you are good at it, no one takes you seriously.”

“Hell, I would. If anything, I appreciate musical talent.”

“Thank you, Seth,” she said, accepting his compliment.

“Do you have your own band?”

“Just garage stuff. We’ve played a few gigs at local Carnivals and such.”

“What the name of your band?” asked Seth.

“OH, NO,” she giggled, “I am not telling you that.”

“C’mon, c’mon, spill it!” he said, playfully trying to tickle her.

“Okay, Okay!” she said, laughing, “First off, I want you to know I didn’t make up this name.”

“Yeah, sure. C’mon, tell me.”

“Patty Come Lately.” She confessed.

Seth then burst out laughing, falling on his back. Shanna teasingly hit him the stomach. After he stopped laughing, he leaned up and took a deep breath. “That is a great name.” he admitted.

“What?” Shanna giggled, “Then why did you laugh?”

“I laughed because it was a great name. You got a bright future ahead of you, Shanna.”

“It’s funny you should mention that. I was actually getting out of the band.”

“Really? Why?” asked Seth.

“The lead singer, Rorry, she was getting too much into heavy metal. Personally, I’ve been listening to that crap for 15 years and it still sucks.”

“What kind of music do you want to play?”

“The pop stuff. The feel good music. Music that makes you want to dance, you know what I am saying?”

“I do, actually,” he grinned.

“What kind of music do you like, Seth?”

“Oh . . .I like all kinds. I am an admirer of all forms.”

“You’re a funny man, Seth,” Shanna said, tying back her long red hair, “So, now that you know something about me, tell me something about you.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Tell me something about Tanya. What is she like? Where did you meet her?”

“Tanya, okay,” Seth smiled, “She’s a blonde. She works at same bookstore that I do. She is . . .creative. Loves all kinds of music too. She is very patient.”

“With you as a boyfriend, she’d have to be,” Shanna giggled, “So where did you and her meet?”

“We met in the mall actually. I was looking for some CDs and so was she. When I went to go get something in the Eatery, she was there at the same place too. Then when we went to the bus stop to go to our homes, she was there as well. I don’t know why but something had her looking depressed. Her tears were starting to swell up in her eyes and I walked over to her and asked her why she was following me? She then burst out laughing.”

“Awww. You cheered her up.” Shanna smiled.

“Right. That made her start talking. I think in the end she needed someone to talk to. I sat with her on the bus back to our town and as a weird coincidence would have it, she leaved just four blocks down from my subdivision. I walked her home and she gave me her phone number. The rest, as they say, is history.”

“That’s really sweet, Seth. Honestly, I never would have pictured you as a romantic.”

“Only when I am around Tanya. I’ve dated her for over four years. I pretty sure when I get home, I will ask her to marry me.”

“Really?” the redhead giggled.

“Yeah, being trapped on this island and away from her, made me appreciate her all the more. I just hope we make it home before she believes I am dead and moves on.”

“You’ll get to her way before that, Seth.”

“I hope so.”

“Hey, Look!” Shanna pointed in the distance, “John and Mia.”

Seth turned and saw his Lakota friend plus the archer walking down the long end of the beach. They must have appeared at another end of the beach down the other way. As they were walking, Mia could see her two friends in the distance and she waved at them. Shanna and Seth got up to go and greet them. They were all curious about what they found out in the jungle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home