Lost Fan Fiction

What about the people in the tail section?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Part 365: An Ending and a Begining

July 26th, 2005

Shanna slowly opened her eyes. The sun was peering through the blinds and caressing her face. The redhead shifted over in her bed. She remembered what it was like to lay in bed, waiting for the clock to go off and head to school. Then afterwards, she’d be in a rush to get to her dad’s pharmacy, cause if she was late he would give her a lecture and she HATED his lectures. There were times when he wished he would beat her; cause it was less painful than a lecture.

Mia moaned on the other side of the bed. Shanna smiled at her best friend; happy they were able to spend these last two weeks together, especially in her own home. The redhead stood up and slowly got off her bed, letting the Lakota sleep. She gently stepped out into the hallway, letting her XXL Star Trek shirt flow around her. The redhead laughed, wondering what her old boy friend was up to and wondered if he still remembered that she had his shirt.

Shanna walked down the hallway and into the living room. Sprawled on the couch was Seth; slightly snoring away. Her cat, Carmen, was curled up in a ball on the side of Seth’s ribs, purring away as well. The redhead giggled as she picked up nearby disposable camera and took a picture of her sleeping adoptive brother with the cat. “Black mail photos,” she giggled.

“What are you doing?” Mia laughed quietly.

Shanna came back and they laughed together, sneaking back into the kitchen. The redhead felt young with Mia in her home. It felt like she was a teenager again, sneaking around the house in order to not wake up her father. The two friends giggled a little more before Shanna started to wince from her cold feet on the tiled floor. Mia helped herself to the coffee maker and started to brew some morning java. Shanna sat down at the kitchen table and placed her disposable camera in her purse. “I can imagine you growing up here.” Mia said.

“You can?” Shanna smiled, “Thank you.”

“I’ll bet Fall is beautiful here.” The Lakota stared out at the window.

“It’s almost as beautiful as Winter too.” The redhead sighed, “I’ll miss living here but I think I’ve gained a lot out of the deal.”

Mia joined her at the kitchen table. “I think you have too,” she smiled, taking her hand.

“Thanks for being a great friend, Mia. I don’t think I could have made this journey without you or Seth.”

“We couldn’t have made it without each other.” The Lakota smiled, “And soon we’ll have our new lives in California. I’ll have John and Seth will have Tanya . . .I want you to promise me you’ll come visit me.”

“Oh, I don’t suspect I’ll be that far away. I can imagine myself living in a nice little white picket fence house someone, just me and Carmen.”

“You want to be neighbors?” Mia giggled.

“Does that neighborhood have any available houses?” Shanna giggled with her.

“Morning, sisters,” Seth said, from the doorway.

“Hey, Sethie,” Shanna giggled, “Did Carmen keep you awake? Did you respect her in the morning?”

Seth pulled up the cat and held it close, letting it purr under his chin. “Don’t listen to her, baby doll,” he chuckled, “ She doesn’t understand the connection we have.”

“Don’t break my cat’s heart, Seth,” the redhead laughed.

“You’re right. I only have eyes for Tanya,” the singer hugged the cat, “ Sorry, Carmen. We’ll always have Paris.”

Mia laughed as she got up to go fix her coffee. She gently poured it into the big white coffee mug that said I DON’T LIKE MONDAYS and Garfield on the side. “It’s your turn to cook breakfast, Seth,” she mentioned.

“Oh, yeah, it is, isn’t it?” He said, calmly scratching his right buttcheek, “ What do you ladies want?”

“Can we have those apple crapes again?” Shanna patted her feet and cupped her hands together in a begging motion, “Please, please, please, please!!”

“Okay, Okay,” he laughed, “ let me get a shower and I’ll be right there.”

Mia brought over her coffee cup and one for Shanna too. Carmen purred on Shanna’s pale legs, allowing the redhead to reach down and pet her. The Lakota blew into her coffee and sipped on it. The kitchen corner was filled with boxes of all the personal stuff Shanna wanted to take with her. The redhead tucked her hair behind her left ear and sipped on her coffee. “You think your Uncle has sold the majority of the stuff?” Mia asked.

“It doesn’t matter.” Shanna whispered, “We’re picking up my check regardless. I am so anxious to leave.”

“What . . .about the grave?” her best friend whispered.

Shanna smiled, silently thanking Mia for her politeness. “Yeah,” she whispered, “We’ll go see it on the way out.”


After Seth spoiled them with their breakfast, he drove them toward her town square. The whole town was like something out of a Normal Rockwell painting. Most of the shops were made of brick and adorned with outside troves filled with rosy flowers. Mothers were taking their children down the sidewalks with their dogs in tow, on their way to the hardware shop. There was even a place where they sold typical hot dogs and hamburgers in typical small town fashion. Seth pulled the truck into the corner area where the pharmacy was located and it was adorned with signs that said GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.

Shanna got out of the truck and walked up to the sidewalk; her yellow and white sundress flowing in the breeze. She opened the door and heard the familiar cowbell above that she had heard the majority of her life. The shelves were almost picked clean from their liquidation. Her Uncle Kelvin was behind the counter in the back. When he saw her, he smiled and stood up. “Hey, Shanna,” he said, then turned around.

“Hey, Uncle Kev,” she said, joining him in the back.

The older man picked up a box and set it on the counter. He then picked up a long yellow check and handed it to her. “Your share of the liquidation.” He told her.

“Thank you,” she smiled, putting it in the box.

“Your Aunt thought you would run this place with your father gone.”

“This Pharmacy was my dad’s dream . . .not mine,” she said, bluntly.

“I am sorry to see you go, little hood,” he smiled, referring to her childhood nickname.

“Oh, don’t be sad, Uncle Kev,” she said, embracing him, “Be happy for me. I am surrounded by people I love and I’ll be back every Christmas.”

“You’ve grown up so much since I’ve seen you last,” he smiled, “ Take one trip to Australia and you come back stronger in spirit than you’ve ever been.”

“I met the right people,” she smiled.

“I’m sure you did.” He then patted the box, “I think I got all your personal stuff from your desk and your father’s in here for you.”

Shanna looked it over. She saw her favorite Alien squeezie. Not to mention the rubber ducky that was her dad’s favorite cause it was her real bath tub companion as a kid. Plus the various amounts of photos, pads and other stuff she had at the pharmacy. Shanna leaned up and kissed her Uncle on the cheek one more time. “Thanks for everything, Uncle Kev,” she smiled, picking up the box, “I’ll call often.”

“Take care, little hood,” he said, watching her walk away and then pointed, “You sure you don’t want to take the cowbell with you?”

“No, thanks,” she giggled, “The last thing I need is more cowbell.”

Shanna opened the door and walked out onto the sidewalk. To her surprise, Seth and Mia were no longer in the truck. The redhead calmly walked over and placed the box in the bed, then looked around to see where her two friends were at. Suddenly they appeared behind the corner and had small cups in there hands, eating ice cream. When Shanna looked closely, she saw that it was something else. “Dippin Dots!” she giggled.

“We couldn’t resist,” Seth mentioned, then held out her cup, “Vanilla, right?”

“Oh, my god, I could eat my weight in these things,” Shanna said, taking the cup, scooping the special ice cream in her mouth and closing her eyes at the taste.

“Did you get things settled?” Mia asked, slurping her strawberry Dippin Dots.

“Yeah, lets make a pit stop by the bank,” she said, getting in the back of the truck, “Then back home to pack.”



After a few hours of packing the majority of the bed with Shanna’s personal effects, they were getting ready to head back to Los Angeles. Seth secured the ropes to the boxes in the back so they wouldn’t wobble. He looked over to Mia who was walking along a side railing in the ground surrounding a flower bed with no flowers. She was on the cell-phone, giggling and playing with her hair. Seth smirked as it was no surprise who she was talking to. She then told the person on the other end that she loved them and hung up. “YES!” she smiled, hissing out the statement like a cheerleader.

“How’s John?” Seth laughed.

“He got the gym teacher job!” she leaped up and down for joy.

“John Riggs, from bad ass hunter to gym teacher,” the singer giggled, “That should be the name of his memoir.”

“I’ll let him know.”

Shanna then came out with her last and most precious package; Carmen. The cat meowed inside her pet carrier as Shanna turned and locked the house. She then placed the key inside a flower pot next to the door. “Your Aunt coming to get the key?” Seth asked.

“Yeah, she’ll come by tomorrow,” Shanna walked to the truck, “Let’s get going.”

“Any pit stops along the way?”

“Only one, “ the redhead whispered as she got in the truck.


The church was old. It was smaller than average churches go. On the outside of the church was various trees and surrounded it was various tombstones of the buried dead. Seth pulled the truck into one of the parking lots, as the church was clearly empty. It was one of those places that only saw activity on Sunday morning. Shanna gently tucked her finger in the pet carrier to let Carmen lick the tip of it. Then she got out and closed the door behind her. Seth pressed the button to let the window slide down and gently handed her the flowers they bought. “Thanks, Seth,” she smiled.

“You want us to come with you?” he asked.

“No,” she sighed, “This I have to do on my own.”

Seth and Mia watched their adoptive sister walk along the parking lot and then stepped onto the grass. She calmly walked over to where her father’s grave was, next to her mother’s. The tombstone was still gray and the flower pot was on top of it. She calmly removed the dead ones and replaced it with the flowers she and her friends brought. She kneeled down and picked off some of the dead leaves from the white gravel that covered the grave site. “Hey, dad,” Shanna whispered, “It’s your daughter.”

The wind blew slightly. The redhead chuckled as if she might have been expecting to hear something but knew full well, she couldn’t. “I . .uh . . .I miss you,” she said, “I wish . . .I wish you were still around. I wish you were still here so I could tell you what I really feel and give you the chance to respond. Now . . .our conversations are going to be one sided.”

Shanna stood up, and walked a few paces, then turned to face the tombstone. “I wish our last words were not spoken in anger, dad,” she sighed, “I’m not sorry I had to travel half away around the world to find myself because I did find myself. Plus some friends that will stay with me when it’s my time to go. You’ll never get the chance to hear me say that I am bi-sexual and I am not ashamed of that. I met someone . . . .a nice man . . .his name was Brendon and he taught me to love people that I want to love. And I loved him very much. And now . ..that you are no longer here in Cornelius Pass . . .I am free. I am free to be who I am and be with my friends. I’m making my life elsewhere, dad.”

The redhead kneeled down to stare at the tombstone. “I guess I’ll never get to hear you say you disapprove of my lifestyle,” she whispered, “And I guess I’ll never get an answer. Cause the question I have to ask is one you’ll never answer. Why, Dad? Why did you give up? Why . ..why couldn’t you have held onto your faith and waited for me to come back?”

A small yellow butterfly fluttered past Shanna, making her gasp a little. She wasn’t sure what to take of that but she dismissed it. She slowly stood up. “I’m going, dad.” She whispered, “I’ll always miss you and I’ll always love you. I hope . . .where ever you might be . .. that you are at least proud of me. And don’t worry about me. I am no longer alone and now . . . .I am free.”

Shanna kissed her fingers and then leaned over, placing them on the tombstone. She turned around and began to walk back toward the truck. Seth immediately turned on the engine, as it was their signal to leave. Shanna got in and took one last look at the tombstone. She then patted the back of Seth’s seat; a way of telling him it was time to go.


The highway stretched onward as they were one day away from Los Angeles and their respective homes. Mia had her head leaning out the cracked window. Shanna was resting her head against the back seat, feeding small treats to her cats. Seth had his left arm propped up against the door and gently pushed up his sunglasses. He was anxious to get back to Tanya and enjoy things like dinner, movies and other things with her. Then a very familiar song came over the radio. Seth started to laugh at it. It was almost poetic. The singer then immediately started to sing along with it.

I’m sailing away,
set an open course for the virgin sea


Mia looked to him, smiling brightly. Shanna leaned up and grinned at her best friend. They both understood why Seth was enjoying the song. It was like their journey had come to an end but at the end of every journey: a new one begins. They laughed as they started to sing with him.

I’ve got to be free,
free to face the life that’s ahead of me
On board, I’m the captain, so climb aboard
Well search for tomorrow on every shore
And I’ll try, oh lord, Ill try to carry on

I look to the sea,
reflections in the waves spark my memory
Some happy, some sad
I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had
We live happily forever, so the story goes
But somehow we missed out on that pot of gold
But well try best that we can
to carry oNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN


Shanna started to bang her hands on the back seat, doing her best drums impersonation. Mia giggled as she did an air guitar. Seth laughed as he tapped his hands on the steering wheel, then waited for the repose.

A gathering of angels appeared above my head
They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said
They said


Mia and Shanna quickly sang with him.

Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me


Mia and Shanna laughed so hard their lungs hurt. Seth held out his hand and the Lakota girl immediately took it. Shanna laughed as she cupped both her hands around them. They were on their way to their new lives but deep down they knew they would never be apart from each other. They had formed a bond that couldn’t be broken by death, nor loss, nor strife. They were sad that Brendon wasn’t with them to share in their laughter and love for one another.

But in a special way, he’ll always be with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home